Mississippi Immigration Law

Immigration Issues

Our Legal Resources page is for people who are handling their legal problems without a lawyer.  This website does not give legal advice and it is not a substitute for having a lawyer.

Contact us

Your Rights

What are my rights as a non-citizen in the United States?

All people in the United States, whether US citizens or not, have rights under the Constitution.  To learn about your rights, you can visit the Catholic Legal Immigration Network’s “Know Your Rights:  A Collection of Resources” at https://cliniclegal.org/resources/know-your-rights.  CLINIC has “Know Your Rights” packets available in Amharic, Arabic, Chinese, English, Farsi, Haitian Creole, Korean, Spanish, and Vietnamese

Immigration Court Free Legal Service Provider list:

Tennessee (Memphis Immigration Court):  https://www.justice.gov/eoir/file/ProBonoTN/download 

Louisiana (New Orleans, LaSalle, and Oakdale Immigration Courts):  https://www.justice.gov/eoir/file/ProBonoLA/download 

Southern Poverty Law Center’s Southeast Immigrant Freedom Initiative (SIFI) for detainees in LaSalle ICE Processing Center (LA), Stewart Detention Center (GA), Irwin Co. Detention Center (GA), or Folkston ICE Processing Center (GA):

Phone:  229-838-6500

Online Referral Form: https://www.splcenter.org/our-issues/immigrant-justice/southeast-immigrant-freedom-initiative/english/seeking-legal-assistance


I need help with my immigration case.  Where can I find an immigration attorney?

Mississippi has a number of free- and low-cost immigration attorneys.  Some area non-profit immigration legal service providers include:

Mississippi College School of Law Immigration Clinic Phone:  (769) 230-8003

Mississippi Center for Justice Phone:  (601) 354-9355
Mississippi Immigrants Rights Alliance
Phone:  (601) 354-9355
El Pueblo Phone:  (228) 436-3986
Catholic Charities Phone:  (601) 948-2635
For a full list of private and non-profit members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, please visit https://www.aila.org/member-directory or https://www.ailalawyer.com/

Can "notarios" or "immigration consultants" help with my case?

Make sure your immigration legal service provider is a licensed attorney or Board of Immigration Appeals Accredited Representative.  “Notarios” and “immigration consultants” are not qualified to provide immigration legal assistance.  For more information on how to protect yourself and your family from “notario” fraud, visit http://www.stopnotariofraud.org/.  

Mississippi Immigration knowledge is power

What immigration options might be available to me?

This link provides common immigration options in the United States. Please not that this is not an exhaustive list.  Because this areas of law are changing constantly, each case is different, and because applying for certain remedies may come with risks, it is often a good idea to speak with a qualified immigration attorney before applying for any of these options.

Immigration Court (Removal Proceedings), Detention, and Appeals

 I have a case in Immigration Court.  How can I get more information about my case?

If you have a case in Immigration Court, you can call the Immigration Court’s 24-hour automated hotline to get information about your case, such as hearing dates, decision information, and appeal information.  To access the hotline, dial 1-800-898-7180.  You will need to enter your Alien Number (also known as the “A Number”) to receive information about your case.  The automated hotline is available in English and Spanish.

If you need to contact an Immigration Court directly, please visit the Department of Justice website for more information.  Some area immigration courts include:

- LaSalle, Louisiana:  https://www.justice.gov/eoir/lasalle-immigration-court    

- Memphis, Tennessee:  https://www.justice.gov/eoir/memphis-immigration-court 

- New Orleans, Louisiana:  https://www.justice.gov/eoir/new-orleans-immigration-court

- Oakdale, Louisiana:  https://www.justice.gov/eoir/oakdale-immigration-court

What are my options in Immigration Court?

How Can I stay in the U.S.?

To learn more about the Immigration Court process, as well as additional remedies (defenses) that may be available to you, you may visit the Immigration Court Self-Help Center at:


My loved one is in immigration detention.  How can I find them?  Can they get out of detention?

If you have a loved one in immigration detention, you may use the ICE Detainee Locator at https://locator.ice.gov/odls/#/index to try to locate them.  (Please note that you will need some biographical information about your loved one to find them using the site.)

I lost my case in Immigration Court. How can I appeal?

After your hearing, you should have received instructions from the Immigration Court on how to appeal your case.  If you choose to appeal, follow the instructions that you received carefully, and pay close attention to all filing deadlines.  

 Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA)

 Tips on filing an appeal with the Board of Immigration Appeals:


Board of Immigration Appeals Filing Information:


If you choose to appeal a Board of Immigration Appeals case, you will need to appeal to the federal circuit with jurisdiction (control) over the Immigration Court that decided your case

Federal Appellate courts with jurisdiction over most Mississippi cases are:

Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals Filing Information (for cases originating in Immigration Courts in New Orleans, Oakdale, and LaSalle/Jena): 


Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Filing Information (for cases originating in the Memphis Immigration Court):


If you need assistance with your immigration appeal, some free legal service providers who may be able to assist you are: 

Mississippi College School of Law Immigration Clinic housed at the 

Mississippi Center for Justice (asylum appeals)

Phone:  (769) 230-8003

Pro Bono Project:  


Immigrant and Refugee Appellate Center (IRAC):  


Please also see additional resources below under “Where can I find an immigration attorney”? 

Consular Contacts

 Your consulate should be able to help you obtain important government documents and services from your home country, including passports, national IDs, birth certificates, death certificates, marriage and divorce records, and other important documents.  Some consulates also provide mobile consular services in Mississippi.  Please contact your local consulate for availability and schedules.

Some area consulates that serve Mississippi include:

- Mexico (in New Orleans)
- Guatemala (in Miami)
- Honduras (in New Orleans)
- El Salvador (in Houston)
- People’s Republic of China (in Houston)
- India (in Atlanta)

For assistance with immigration issues, contact one of our legal service partners!